I like to give little gifts to my quilt guild friends. I thought spool photo holders would be great gifts for quilters and I have a large collection of wooden spools stashed in my studio,
Below are the steps to create a spool photo holder yourself.
- Cut lengths of annealed steel wire approximately 13 to 18 inches in length and wipe with a rag.
- Wrap wire around a marker or paintbrush 4 times to make the coil that holds the photo.
- Drill 2 small holes into the top of the spool.
- Glue a small circle of felt to the bottom of the spool.
- Apply a few lines of glue to the spool and wrap with yarn or jute. I used a grey wool yarn.
- Secure the end of the yarn with a dab of glue.
- Add lace if desired securing with small dab of glue.
- Add a button tied with a bit of string or glue the button in place.
- Add a dab of glue in each hole on the top of the spool and insert the end of the wire.
Here they are all packaged and ready for delivery with a little photo card saying â€˜Iâ€™m sew happy.â€™ I made a few extra that I am giving away as part of Sew Mama Sew Giveaway Day.